Thursday, May 26, 2011

Recovering from Surgery

It is expected to be a 6 week recovery from May 10th....right around when the kids get out of school (6/25). The surgery went very well, with the surgeon removing 2 cancerous tumors, however, not laparoscopically!! Bill and I had guardedly optimistic meetings with both oncologists yesterday (medical and surgical). They both recommend that I go to a radiation oncologist to consider treatment for the isolated outbreaks of cancer in my abdomen. Since this is the third time I have had surgery for tumors in the abdomen, (November 2009 and May 2011) the feeling is that it might be wise to do a pre-emptive strike to the region to clean up possible remaining cells. However, at this point, there are no visible remaining signs of cancer in my abdomen. So, the beat goes on. It looks as if we finally have decent weather. Hope it continues into Memorial Day weekend. Have a happy one!!!

3 comments:

Will & Beth said...

Glad to hear that your abdomen looks good. I can see why they would think about radiating your abdomen as the sight of recurrences. Talk to them about the effect of radiation on future surgery. I know it makes prostate surgery difficult.

We have had an intermittently beautiful day that we have pleasantly frittered away. Best to the kids. Thinking of you all. Will & Beth

Katie said...

Dear Maura,
I just wrote out a longish note, to no avail! It went poof, up in the air! Frustrating! I want to know how you're feeling post-op. Bob and I are thinking of you and your's with great love. (Are you staying out of the sun, and getting PLENTY of R.E.S.T.? Sorry, I can't stress that part of things enough!) xoxoxoxoxoxoxs

Katie said...

P.S. Rest; rest; rest----- am I being obnoxious enough yet?
Love you Maura, Katie